MAMSA Cambodia Trip Dec 2015

MAMSA Cambodia Trip Dec 2015

In December 2015, MAMSA embarked on a journey to rural Cambodia in the hopes that we would be able to help impoverished families through building a well and a toilet. We woke up at 4:00 am, blearly eyed and sleep deprived, to catch the early morning flight to Phnom Penh.


After arriving we met our guide Vichea who would be with us for the next 6 days. He led us to the Toulo Sap Museum which showcased the horrors of the Khmer Rogue regime. We then stopped by a massive AEON shopping centre to stock up on civilisation, water and snacks.

After embarking from Phnom Penh, we were in for a 2 hour drive to the Prey Veng province where we would spend the next 6 days.

1934501_10153241808090848_251145388366553650_n 920670_1262010793825983_5638826405146840136_o 10286790_1262010920492637_6213012002480648843_o 10628826_1262004767159919_3871358905804795595_o

Our accommodation was basic, and food was similar from day to day, however we always had high spirits (either from watching Game of Thrones or playing a multitude of card games). At night, there was always the battle against “black sesame seeds” (insects) and making sure the doors and windows were always shut to bar entry to insects.

On the first 3 days, we were labourers – building a toilet and well were no small feat! We learnt the importance of sand and how to mix cement. When chopping wood, there was a huge discrepancy between our wood chopping skills and our guides – we cut 1 wood block at the rate they did 10!

12402243_10206358577136059_5127019869961085515_o10408673_10153241808815848_6782015238856276992_n 10386987_10206358574455992_7147386994141784733_o 10258342_1262010500492679_2150245495083103070_o10298424_1262016853825377_1112360172033113662_o

Finally, the well and toilet was built! Alas the well was dug too deep, so didn’t manage to produce any water. However, we were reassured that the well would work in the rainy season. Thankfully, the toilet went without any hitches.

After finishing our time as make-shift construction workers, we headed over to OHF’s Foundation. Arriving at the foundation, we were greeted by many smiling faces, ranging between 4-18 years old. While there, we made friends, played games and taught students the importance of handwashing. We even helped the orphanage to paint a basketball court under the hot sun!

10644899_10153241805130848_8357098613922091520_n 21438_10153241805185848_8731388246314732730_n 5887_10153241809995848_2777804629519946700_n 1918670_10153241798680848_9034061962136785572_n

5662_10153241804280848_8592890207426128713_n 965888_1262011480492581_4917397043978037739_o 1916898_10153241803980848_2654075464310917275_n 1917025_10153241804090848_974601716422474544_n 1934227_10153241803400848_2984147262331716152_n

Alas, it was time to go, so we packed our bags and bid farewell to OHF. After the 2 hour journey, we arrived at our accommodation for the night – Base Villa. It was nice to have the afternoon off and just relax and enjoy aircon (which we hadn’t had in 6 days!). Before our flight the next day, we learned how to negotiate tuk tuks and managed to sneak a trip to the Royal Palace. There we witnessed the sheer wealth the royal family had, as well as the impact the Khmer Rogue had on culture there.

After a quick ride to the airport, we bid farewell to Wesley, and continued on to Siem Reap for our much deserved R&R. Upon arriving, we had a bit of a shaky start to our accommodation but we eventually sorted everything out and found ourselves in the lavish (ok not that lavish) Mekong Angkor Palace. After dropping our bags off, we made our way to Pub street to find some touristy food.

Pub street was beautifully lit up with massage parlours, street vendors selling fake electronics, elephant pants and all kinds of fake t-shirts. Every night, for the subsequent nights, we would invariably gravitating towards pub street for the cheap food and shopping.

10009863_10153241810265848_3326225647288828478_n 10273502_10153241802670848_8945701315644020895_n

We took 1 day to conquer Angkor Wat where we climbed and puffed, queued for sunset (which was subsequently quite poor) and ate extremely overpriced touristy food. There was so many tourists everywhere, but luckily we managed to get tons of photos!

10426713_10153241804800848_166742335505661644_n 10420242_10153241802105848_8325676736952750791_n 1170828_10153241796990848_702020765691685043_n 994733_10153241798385848_6642624831201328757_n 1609631_10153241799405848_2221950691077910348_n 10632819_10153241789305848_4169742993047138589_n

The next day, we visited a local children’s hospital where we had a pleasant tour of the hospital and learned how the local system worked. It was amazing how the hospital was run purely on donations and was non profit to any Cambodian child. In the afternoon, we spent some time at a different orphanage where we talked to the students and enjoyed playing games and conducting health checkups with them.


The rest of the trip was uneventful and we (yet again) ate more delicious Cambodian food, and enjoyed being a tourist. Apart from a delay on our returning flight, we all arrived safe and sound (albeit slightly sunburnt) in KLIA2.


Thus ended our fantastic trip to Cambodia.

No Comments

Post a Comment